Deciding to retire is a major decision in your life. This is especially true for Boomers because there are no models that fit all of the challenges ahead. With a possible 25 plus years added to your life span, there are a lot of decisions to be made in three main areas of your life. These include how to:
- Have enough money to do what you want is now .
- Take care of your health.
- Enjoy positive relationships and a meaningful life.
Retiring is now one of the most important transitions in your adult life. It is a proces that can take several years in which there are places you can get stuck. Because you are entering a new stage in your life, you will have many positive feelings as well as some that create stress, overwhelm, anxiety or fear. It is these negative feelings that make it easy to get stuck.
How do you know if you are stuck? Most people start out optimisticly. They have goals, are motivated, and are looking forward to enjoying this gift of time and accomplisihing what's important to them. However, in spite of their effort, things do not always go smoothly or work out as planned.
When you are not achieving either a personal or professional goal, it helps to have good self-awareness. You need to be able to be honest with yourself about the person you are now and be clear about your values and strengths, how you want to spend your time, and who and what adds meaning to your life. In addition, it is important to have open conversations about these things with significant people in your life. This might be your spouse, partner, chlldren and others you respect. Denial about who you are or your behavior will only sabotage your progress.
There are 5 warning signs or symptoms of being stuck. Once you can be honest with yourself, you can check and see if you have any of the five warning signs of stalled or stuck behavior. Each of these symptoms has a remedy that can help you begin to move forward and reach your goal – big or small. If you notice it early in your transition, there are steps you can take to quickly begin taking steps to ensure your success.
Warning signs of being stuck are feeling:
- Uncertainty or self-doubt. You do not believe you can really make the transition successfully and be happy or fulfilled. You hear yourself saying "I don't know" a lot.
- Loneliness. You lack the support system you need to pursue your goal.
- Lack of meaning or an emptiness in your life. You have no sense of purpose in regards to your life.
- Frustration. What you value about life and how you are spending most of your time may be in conflict.
- Aggressiveness or anger. There may be a fear of losing something that is very important to you.
It is important to have support in the process of eliminating your symptoms. Determine who your support people will be.
Ways I help people are:
- Sign up for my free report A Proven 6 Step System to a Rewarding and Meaningfull Life in Your Encore Years: For Professionals Who Want to Actively Engage in Meaningful Pursuits and Know They Matter and also receive my bimonthly ezine.
- Get a copy of my 3 Step System to Know Yourself and Make Better Choices: Discover Your Strengths, Find the Key to Happiness and Become More Satisfied with Life.
- Request an application for my complimentary private Retirement Conversation call by sending me an email mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply for my Self-Discovery Program to Move Forward and Take Bold Action: Silver/Gold by sending me an email mailto:email@example.com.
For more information about any of these options, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to my website: http://pattencoaching.com/services/. Each person's retirement transition is his or her own personal journey. It is possible to attain a freedom-based lifestyle that works for you. Make sure you get the support you need to make this a fulfilling experience.
If you think you might be stuck, what is your biggest challenge? Comment below.
Until next time,