If you want to be happier, increase meaning in your life.
During the fast pace of life we live in, you may feel like you struggle to find time to do the things that are important to you. This is unfortunate because these activities renew you by reflecting your true self and giving your life meaning.
Feeling that your life is meaningful increases your happiness. It is one of three types of happiness, and meaning is part of the character strength of Spirituality.
According to psychologist Martin Seligman, you have a meaningful life when you are doing things that use your strengths to forward:
- Knowledge – learning, teaching, science, literature, etc.
- Power – technology, health services, engineering, construction, etc.
- Goodness – law, ethics, religion, politics, firefighting, charity, etc.
These three areas connect you to something outside yourself that is larger than you are. It might be to the future, other people, or the universe.
The following 4 tips enhance meaning and the character strength of spirituality:
- Take 5 minutes daily and think about things you can do to improve your family, community, or the world.
- Journal or talk about things you want to do in the areas of Knowledge, Power, or Goodness.
- Read religious/spiritual books or articles.
- Spend some time daily in meditation or prayer.
Choose to do something that uses at least one of your strengths to contribute to the area of Knowledge, Power, or Goodness in the coming year. You will find yourself feeling happier.
I look forward to answering your questions on how this can work for you.
Until next time,